Former Fifa president Sepp Blatter has lost his appeal against his six-year ban from football.
The 80-year-old hoped the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) would overturn the ban, which was imposed last December.
But his appeal was dismissed this afternoon.
Sepp Blatter has said that he has lost his appeal against a 6 year ban from FIFA. Let’s hope that, for once, he’s telling the truth.
— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) December 5, 2016
Blatter was last year found to have made a £1.3million “disloyal payment” to ex-Uefa boss Michel Platini.
Both deny wrongdoing, but CAS described the payment as “an undue gift” with “no contractual basis”.
Responding to today’s decision, Blatter said:
No other verdict could be expected.
He added: “I have to accept this decision. I have experienced much in my 41 years in Fifa. I mostly learned that you can win in sport, but you can also lose.”
The payment is also being looked into by Swiss prosecutors.